Patience is a virtue!
Especially when it comes to health and wellness.
These days, people are constantly self-diagnosing and self-prescribing as they raid the supplement aisle of their favorite grocery store.
“I need to take B12!” “Fish Oil? Didn’t Facebook say I need to take Fish Oil?” “Oh, and what about Acai Powder?”
People are spinning out of control. They go from one supplement to the next, one combination to another, without ever waiting long enough to see what works.
In fact, I used to be one of these crazy people, always confidently thinking “I know what I’m doing.” And then completely changing my supplements a few days, or even hours, later.
People want instant change for the better, and if they don’t feel or see something significant, then they move to the next fad that tells them what they want to hear.
That’s why the supplement industry is booming!
But you’ll never know whether a supplement is working or not, if you can’t exercise patience.
There is one avenue that can help you create patience and a feeling of calmness that you need to stay the course: Mindfulness.
Daily meditation, or breathing exercises, can help you keep your mind in balance. It can help you achieve the mindfulness to understand when you are experiencing a noticeable benefit, and when you need a change.
Personally, I meditate daily around 9:00 PM. I use guided meditation apps, such as Headspace, or my own practice techniques.
How To Practice
1) Lay down on your bed with the lights dimmed and shades drawn. Make sure you are ready for bed and don’t need to make any more active movements.
2) Put your right hand on your stomach, and your left hand on your chest.
3) Focus your thoughts on your breath.
4) Take 5 deep breaths, in and out of your nose, while feeling your right hand move up and down. Keep your left hand flat on your static chest.
5) Take another 5 breaths through your nose, slowly decreasing the amount of breath. The last one should be roughly the size of a normal breath.
6) Stay calm in that position, breathing normally, for another 10 breaths. Keep your focus.
7) Next, put both your arms to your sides.
8) Now focus your thoughts on your toes, waiting until you feel a slight tingle.
9) Next, slowly move your thoughts up your body, stopping at different locations, such as your feet, ankles, calves, knees, hips, chest, and so on.
10) When you reach your shoulders, focus on your neck, and then slowly move to the top of your head.
11) Once you get to the very top of your head, let your thoughts go for a few minutes.
Don’t be surprised if you fall asleep!
Daily meditation exercises will help you keep your thoughts and mentality in check. Plus, it will help you relax your mind for sleep.
But, don’t forget to reach out to a functional medicine practitioner if you want to take your health and wellness to another level, or if you are dealing with a chronic disease such as Crohn’s disease.
They can help guide you in the right direction for a specific protocol of supplementation and give you the confidence that you need to overcome issues. You’ll be more likely to stay compliant if you have someone keeping you honest.
For example, let’s say your functional medicine practitioner just added Metagenics UltraGI Replenish to your protocol. Although some may see a rapid change for the better (it was 48 hours for me), others may need a week or more to feel the true benefits.
Staying the course is incredibly important!
Having the right mindset will make challenges easier. Mindfulness is a great way to help stay on track. A simple, easy breathing technique or an in-depth guided meditation process can do wonders for your life.
Never give up!